Friday 13 May 2011

Scalliwags, spring and some new items...

The weather this spring in Vancouver has been pretty uncharacteristic. Cold, rainy days with overcast skies and a chill in the air - it all has felt a bit grim.  On the odd days when the sun peeps out from behind the clouds, the general mood seems to lift and I have managed to press on with collecting materials for the shop.  Each day I take to my list of inventory ideas and jot down notes - the list is longer than I am able to tackle at the moment, but I have set myself a goal of one item per day...

There are many things that are coming out of this process of evolving a shop and making things with my own two hands that are surprising and wonderful.  My children, in between bouts with sniffles and coughs (it really has felt like we are constantly fighting one thing or another), show great alacrity for the project. They've got so much enthusiasm for every little bit of fabric, bead, batting or ribbon - it's an absolute joy. Once an item has been finished, whatever I have made is then scooped up and given to this stuffed animal or another as a naptime friend or playmate. Bracelets cover their forearms up to their elbows, and faster than I can catch him, the cat has stolen something out of my supplies and is on the run.

My daughter crafts and draws virtually all day long, taking breaks to read books and write labels for various things around the house.  I woke up one morning to find that she had even labelled our various pets in their respective baskets, cage and fish tank...large sheets of paper with CAT, BIRDIES, GOLDFISH written out in red crayon. She explained to me that the pets couldn't label their homes themselves so she thought she'd do it for them - bless her heart. My son has discovered my pinking shears and practices on sheets of paper, with his big sister's tutelage, of course! We adore that they are best friends and we hope this will stand them in good stead as they grow up together.

In other news, I have added a new felt doll to the shop - it's a Pirate Cat! For the moment, he is lodging in my son's pirate ship and sailing the seven seas...but he'll be made to order for anyone who'd like to order him!  




And another WIP...


Lastly, I wanted to point out the link to My Etsy that appears in the upper right-hand corner of the blog. It features a small selection of items and if you click on the link it will take you directly to the N&N shop. I have also added an Etsy rubrique on the left-hand side of the FB page, so you can access inventory and link the store there as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment